Portuguese Nationality for the descendants of Portuguese Sephardic Jews
The Portuguese Government may grant nationality to descendants of Portuguese Sephardic Jews who demonstrate a traditional connection to a community with Portuguese Sephardic origins, based on the required proof of a connection with Portugal, such as family names, family language, direct or collateral ancestry.
Requests for Portuguese nationality are the responsibility of the Central Registry Office (Conservatória dos Registos Centrais), in Lisbon.
To apply for the Portuguese nationality, you must submit all the following documents:
- Application form of wish to acquire Portuguese nationality, completed in Portuguese, with signature certified at this Consulate General. You may give a Power of attorney to a lawyer, if you want.
- Certified copy of passport
- Full birth certificate, legalised and accompanied by translation if not written in Portuguese.
- Criminal Record Certificate from the country of birth and country of your citizenship, as well as from any other country where you may have resided, legalised and accompanied by translation if not written in Portuguese.
- Certificate issued by the Portuguese Jewish Community
All documents have to be submited by registered post, with an international cheque for the amount of euros 250,00, as payment for this application, to:
Conservatória dos Registos Centrais
Rua Rodrigo da Fonseca, nº198
Please note that this process will be appraised by the Office of the Minister of Justice, who will make the final decision.
For more information see Portal das Comunidades.